Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Fond Farewells

Today marked endings* (of sorts) for two prominent members of the chem-blogging community.

First up, Carmen Drahl - intrepid Chemical and Engineering News reporter - announced she was stepping down:


Just a few hours later, Paul Docherty of Totally Synthetic, arguably the blog that gave rise to post-peer-review in synthetic chemistry, called it quits to focus on a burgeoning informatics career.

I'd like to wish both Carmen and Paul a teary, heartfelt good-bye. After all, they both got me into blogging; see my Haystack and TotSyn guest posts. Moreover, they built the bridge from the Tenderbutton / In the Pipeline / The Chem Blog era into the rich and diverse bloggy landscape we enjoy today (see just a fraction of them, in my blogroll, at right).

Best wishes to both Carmen and Paul as they ride into the Internet sunset.

It's a road, off in the distance. Like a metaphor, or something.

--
*But not for me. Sorry, chemblogosphere, you're stuck with the pup for yet another year.

2 comments:

  1. You will be missed, See Arr Oh!

    (I've decided to only read headlines from now on. I think I got the gist of this post...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SAO. I think what's gratifying to me has been the inroads the chemblog-vid-tweet-osphere has made in the wider sciblogging/sciwriting community. Chemistry has been this thing that's seen as too arcane for even science journalists to cover. That's just silly. I will never forget a convo I had at happy hour with the chemistry reporter from a brand-name magazine who was trying to expand their beat b/c they didn't think there was anything new and sexy going on in basic chemistry. Keep on showin' 'em otherwise.

    ReplyDelete