Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Book Club

Books, chairs, and lamps = happiness
I live in a sleepy town of about 28,000 people. Quiet, picture-postcard-like scenery. A few coffee shops and pizza joints. Schoolchildren, soccer moms, and tall pine trees. The type of town where a visit to the local library might normally turn up mysteries, nonfiction, and children's books, but not a lot of science content.


So, imagine my surprise at finding a veritable treasure trove in our "New Books" section last week. As I strolled by, I couldn't help scooping up everything I laid my eyes on.


Carl Zimmer's A Planet of Viruses was there. As was Much Ado About (Practically) Nothing, a book about the history of noble gases, by David Fisher. A few rows down, I encountered How I Killed Pluto (And Why it Had it Coming) by Mike Brown, and one row to my right was Rob Dunn's The Wild Life of Our Bodies: Predators, Parasites, and Partners that Shape Who We Are Today. Toss in the obligatory Feynman biographies, and a book or two about popular physics, and I was in science reading heaven.


Looks like a long weekend of coffee and reading (and maybe a game) for me.  Enjoy, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment